Tuesday 27 November 2012

Back in touch


Facing major surgery as the start of what hopefully was going to be curative treatment for cancer, I kept one thing in mind.

Post operative pain relief has developed quite a way since my appendix operation in 1964.

The infamous PCAs ......patient controlled analgesia, means that patients can give themselves doses of morphine as and when they need it, without any risk of overdose. If there was one thing that I was “looking forward to” about the surgery, it was being able to give myself morphine..... it seemed so outrageous, even illegal....but perhaps a slither of a silver lining to this cloud of being ill.

So.... there I was, lying on my amazingly modern electric profile bed, hooked up to various clearly life supporting fluids..... and I reached for my PCAs button..... I found the profile bed remote control, the TV remote control, the emergency button to call a nurse and the light switch...... but no PCAs control. I could see the PCAs machine, with its tube of morphine locked in place..... where was the button ??????

I pressed the button to call a nurse.... and she explained that I had been very sensitive to the morphine administered during the operation, and had spent a long time in the recovery room.....recovering. So, the bottom line was that I couldn’t have any more morphine. My blood pressure and oxygen levels were very low.....so......no more morphine ! They did give me something slightly stronger than paracetemol, but nothing really exotic or exciting.
So, there it was....my silver lining.....removed.
Hospital band : "Mad reaction to morphine in surgery".....Mad ??????
 
 
Since then ( my "successful" surgery was actually 3 weeks ago today), I have made a good post op recovery, discharged after 3 days, but then a few days later, readmitted to hospital with a probable infection. 6 days later, I was discharged again, and this time, I am really making progress.
 
Being admitted to the ward I used to work on was fascinating. I always had incredible respect for the nursing team on "my" ward, but being on the receiving end of their skills and care was something out of this world. They are an amazing team of professionals, I could not have wished for better care. Nothing was ever too much trouble, and their ability to make me feel safe ( and pampered) was wonderful.

dont you just love those pressure socks?
 
 
So, now, I am home, preparing to start chemotherapy at the end of next week. I am feeling stronger every day. I can now concentrate on a crochet pattern, visitors' conversations, TV programmes which last more than 25 minutes, novels that are slightly more stretching than the latest Jodi Picoult.....and catching up on blogs I have missed, or skated through during the last few weeks. I also, cant wait to blog about something other than being ill.
 
I am planning a blog about my "less than loopy" grandmother, as opposed to my "loopy" grandmother, and intend to fill my days with things that do not neccessarily revolve around cancer.

Alice Ellen, my not so loopy grandmother.
 
Basically, I feel as if I am back. I have missed blogging, but have been thrilled to have received so much support from blogging friends. So thankyou all, and I'll be dropping in to see what is happening in your worlds regularly from now on.

31 comments:

  1. I am absolutely delighted to be reading this Janice because you sound so much more upbeat. I have been thinking about you every day and hoping that things were progressing well. Onwards and upwards. Lots of Love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ayak. It is good to feel human again. I'm looking forward to hearing about the chickens ! Jx

      Delete
  2. Glad to read that you are feeling stronger day by day. Good luck with the chemo - will be thinking of you (and looking forward to your grandmother post!)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alix.... I'm looking forward to getting stuck into my grandmother post....with no mention of illness at all ! Jx

      Delete
  3. So glad you are back on line . I was wondering how you were getting on. Lots of positive vibes winging your way to help you through the chemo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much....it feels good to be back on line.....loved your itchy trowel syndrome post.....go on girl.....find that trowel....get back to it ! Jx

      Delete
  4. GREAT to have you back, Janice.
    Can't wait to read what you have in store for us.
    Take care and hope the chemotherapy goes well.
    Thinking of you
    Gaynor x
    PS Please can you email me as I lost your address when Outlook crashed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gaynor, thanks for your good wishes... I cant find your email address either.....dont know if its a glitch, or just my uselessness! My email is janwhud@aol.com I'll leave it here for a while, and then take it down, last time I put it up, I started to get some strange emails ! Fondest wishes Jx

      Delete
  5. Dear Janice - you have been in my thoughts and so pleased that you are now getting stronger day by day.
    What a strange use of the word mad - I wonder whatever you got up to whilst in the recovery room?
    Glad that you are back with us again Janice, but take it slowly and give yourself time - take care♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosemary. I wondered whether the wrist band actually read " Mod. reaction to morphine...." but it certainly looked like " Mad". I should have asked what I did ! best wishes Jx

      Delete
  6. Now you can concentrate on a crochet pattern you say?
    That's exciting for me!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...but only one square completed in the last 7 weeks...25 or so done now, but 144 required ! It's not going to be finished for Christmas kid, sorry. xxxx

      Delete
  7. I feel for you being deprived of morphine post-op, Janice. You must get them to tell you what your 'mad' reaction was!
    Sounds a very quick progression onto chemo so glad you're feeling stronger and better again - will be sending you lots of positive thoughts, vibes and virtual hugs.
    Take care - hope it's not raining too hard where you are. You deserve some nice, bright and sunny late autumn days now.
    Much love
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain seems to have stopped for a while, and I've just managed a wander round Hebden Bridge..... hair all being cut off tomorrow, in preparation for the chemo. I am really feeling so much better, but would also love to know exactly how mad I was on the morphine. Love Janice x

      Delete
  8. How lovely to see a new post from you, Janice, and one with such good news of real progress after your setback. I'm glad you had such good care from your former colleagues on the ward, which must have made those awful pressure socks more bearable. :-) Now just the hurdle of chemo to get over. I have everything crossed that it will go smoothly and well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so far, so good. It feels good to be back in the normal...and virtual worlds. I intend to banish all thoughts of illness...its all about recovery from here on in ! Jx

      Delete
  9. Janice, it is wonderful to see you are able to blog again. I've been wondering how things were going and it does sound as if you are doing very well. I'm certainly impressed with your positive attitude and looking forward to hearing about that grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Broad, I hope all is well with you too, and that your grandson is settling in well. Take care. Jx

      Delete
  10. H Janice.....I was so happy to see a new post from you. You were in my thoughts all the time and I was wondering how you were doing????? But so sorry that you had a slight setback.
    It was tremendously good that you stayed in the hospital in a familiar place, which I think probably made it easier for you.
    Will keep you in my prayers and now you will be on your last journey and hope that everything goes very smoothly and fast.
    Love your photo of your not so loopy Grandmother.....take care XXXXOOOO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much.... hopefully I can now concentrate on really beating this thing. Hope all is well with you. Jx

      Delete
  11. Oh, I'm very glad to see a new post from you, Janice! Pity about the infection, but apart from that it sounds as if things are going well. Starting chemo so soon suggests you've got your strength back really quickly. I hope the chemo goes as well as it can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veronica. I am all set now, ready to start the chemo, just wanting it to be over, so I can get back to Caunes next spring. Fondest wishes Jx

      Delete
  12. Lovely to read your positive post! I look forward to more family history - I'm addicted to it. It doesn't have to be mine, I'm totally fascinated by everybody!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Nilly, but then I am one of those people that wants to buy up all the discarded family photos at car boots, vide greniers and antique fairs. J.

      Delete
  13. Welcome back, Janice. It was nice to see your comment the other day, and nice yet to see your post.

    Sorry the morphine didn't work for you. Mad or mod - it is a relief to be on the other side of surgery, gaining strength, being able to stay on track. That was so frustrating for me after surgery (though I shan't complain as the drip worked well for me).

    I love your attitude and wish you well as you continue on in recovery mode. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny, it does feel good to be feeling a little stronger every day. Also, today, the sun is shining, so everyhting seems good ! Jx

      Delete
  14. The most logical explanation would be med reaction to morphine?! How ironic to be on your own old familiar ward, life is weird sometimes. So glad you are feeling better. Will you see the light parade on Sat? I've been reading about it and wish I could be there to see it myself, so Hebden Bridge!
    Best wishes.... Jillx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, I have just come back from the Valley Light parade in Hebden Bridge. The handmade lanterns were wonderful, the canal boats looked fabulous and the brass band and drummers were just incredible. It was one of those happenings where everyone had a huge smile on their face. I am so pleased I felt well enough to wander into town, and be part of it all. Jx

      Delete
    2. Wow, it was today! ..... I can just imagine how magical! Looking forward to coming again next Sept. If you're not in Caunes maybe we can meet at Stubbing Wharf and drink to your good health :)

      Delete
    3. That sounds like an excellent idea.....the Stubbings is about 200 yards from our house, and I've just realised that having walked into and around town last night, a 400 yd round trip, to the pub is well within my capabilities ! Best wishes Janice x

      Delete
  15. A simple message from me to you - just keep well.

    Love Celia x

    ReplyDelete